Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Mazda 3 "jerky" throttle

I have a 1.6 deisel Mazda 3 "Sport" 2012 and find the throttle response ver jerky on take off making it difficult to drive smoothly and spoiling the pleasure of driving. Sometimes it bogs down other times it surges forward before the clutch is fully home. I have heard that grounding the throttle bodies to the negative battery terminal offers some improvement. Or is there a software upgrade from Mazda to cure what is spoiling a nice car? Thanks. Andy (40+ years driving experience) Average fuel consumption 46 mpg driving conservatively I expected more.

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Andy,

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Are there any type of warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No warning lights, i feel its poor software controlling the fly by wire throttle control. I wondered whether there had been any updates. If not will earthing the throttle bodies help smooth things out?
I am also a warranty inspector and I have inspected this issue before.There is a software update to the ecu that corrects this issue,basically the ecu is reprogrammed.Running a earth wire to the throttle body will help the problem but it will not solve the ecu,having the ecu updated will fix this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I thought but Sandicliffe the Mazda dealer says there is no update software so where do I get it reprogrammed please?

Andy

The software update has to be performed by a dealer,this sounds like the dealer that you are going to does not know how to do this and you will need to go to another dealer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sandicliffe say that they automatically update to latest version but there was no update they knew of for this issue which they "had never heard of" I bought the car from them and am tied to servicing for the first 3 years. If you definitely know there has been a fix can you get a reference number for the new programme please?

Andy

Yes let me see what I can find out and get back to you,thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, any joy yet in finding if Mazda have a fix for this problem please?

Thanx.

Andy

There is a update that can be performed however mazda does not have a official update for this issue. So the dealer is not going to be much help unless they have done this. The only other option is to have this done at a independent garage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thanks for that but what does the update involve so that I ask the right questions and do you know of any independent garages in the Derby/Nottm area capable of doing it please?

Thanx

Andy

The update basically involves connecting the diagnostic machine and erasing the ECU and reinstalling it. Sorry I don't know of any garages in that area that I am familiar with. Thank you.
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike, I can't really go elsewhere other than sandicliffe as my warranty would be affected. Also if there is no update I can't see how downloading and uploading with same programme is likely to help. I have contacted Mazda customer care and will copy you in if and when the come back!

Andy

No problem thank you.