Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Mazda 323F. Had a flat battery, now recharged, car starts and

Mazda 323F. Had a flat battery, now recharged, car starts and drives fine, but instruments not working. Speedo, Tacho, Fuel and water temperature all show zero. Even mileage reads: ------- ! All were working previously before. (Battery discharged because I left map reading light on and car was not used for a couple of days.)
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

From what you are describing the issue that you are having is consistent with a dead cell in the battery, and the battery needs to be replaced or the system needed to be reset. What I would suggest as a first step is to disconnect the negative and positive battery cable ends and leave them disconnected for 5 minutes then reconnect and retry. This will reset the system, if the issue continues the battery will likely need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike

Thanks - the battery was actually new in September 2012, so ought to be ok (but may be faulty of course).

I'll try disconnecting the battery tomorrow for 5 minutes as you suggest (too cold to be messing about outside at this hour!). Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how I get on.

Stephen

No problem thank you. Also you can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive and I will continue to help you if you need it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

Just to let you know, I disconnected the battery for 5-10 minutes and then reconnected. Was pleased that immediately a mileage showed on the odo and then, on firing up, I saw all the instruments were in business again. Thanks for your advice - sorry it seemed to be such a trivial issue! I should have realised the first thing to try with computer problems is to "turn it and turn it on again"!

Stephen

No problem,thank you. I'm glad everything is up and running again.