Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have an october 2009 1.6ltr petrol engine mazda 3 which has

Customer Question

I have an october 2009 1.6ltr petrol engine mazda 3 which has a loud engine noise on start up in the morning, it sounds like a dull tappid sound and gradually nearly disappears.
Any ideas.?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hello John and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you on this issue.

Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question - I have been asked to help you -

You dont mention the mileage but this issue is usually caused by a general lack of servicing over the years - at least, that accentuates the issue - its not the only cause - it can come on anyway ..

I note you have changed the oil - but the engine should have been flushed using a good quality flushing agent - and then replace the oil - and a new oil filter.. and then see if that cures it.

Generally the cause of this is gumming up with carbon over the years inside the engine - it creates a sticky goo like surface on the working components - so you need the flush to get rid of it - and then ensure a good quality - and correct grade oil is used - all of which works to eradicate this issue.

The oil to be used by the way is a 5/30.. you can use a 10/40 - but the former will help rid this issue for you..

Too - this engine has manual adjust type tappets / rockers - not hydraulic - so have the gap settings checked as well... often these don't get done even on garage servicing over the years.

Working through as above should see thus cured for you John -

Let me know if you need anything else - I will be back on shift later should you need. If you do reply, I will get back to you asap after receiving your reply.

.>> >> > ..Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi mike, your response was very basic and I have since trawled the internet to find my answer. This year ,fuel and size of engine have an injera to fault which lends itself to be called PISTON SLAP. Honest john.co.uk was able to put me in touch with a feed which detailed one persons journey with Mazda to have his car returned an he was reimbursed for his outlay plus compensation .maybe my question was vauge but maybe you should have enquirers a little more into my reasons for originally posting my question. Some people may be happy with your service but I was not impressed with my response as I had already thought of all your maybes.

Sorry Mike but it did not cut the mustard.

Yours sincerely,

John
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again John -

John - I did mention to you the likes of the fact that you didnt' mention the cars mileage or anything re its service history etc - you were more than welcome to come back to me and clarify such issues - further - I did say - "let me know if you need anything else"...

You have not done any of the above - you have just come back to me now - some 17 days after I answered you -- I therefore assumed you were happy with what I had imparted to you above - reasonably in view of the above.

I actually gave you enough to go on - the issues I highlighted to you are very , very possibly the fault you have with yours - as its a very common issue - as mentioned.

No tech worth his salt would dive into issues such as piston slap etc without working through what I mentioned to you first... That would be not sensible at all-- So while you fee my answer was "vague" - I can assure you it was intended as I said to you - to work through... If it cured the fault as worked through it - you would be more than happy. If not , fine, we carry on - but you don't do it the other way around.. Thats like changing the engine due to a misfire of a faulty plug - when someone's thinking the worst - ie - you have a shot engine. You see the point Im sure.

-- I hope that explains for you why I answered you as I did. Again - you were asked to come back to me if you needed anything else but you didn't. Had you done, I would have been more than happy to explain / help further , indeed as above. Once more, that is , as I have outlined, the sensible / cost effective approach - Im sure you will on reflection, agree.

I would therefore appreciate your clicking on at least the OK ratings for me so that I am credited for my time at least - and I thank you in advance for doing that now for me.
Thank you John.

Kind Rgds, MIKE.