indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician.
29331485

I have a 2006 1895 cc petrol Mazda . Oil pressure light flickers

I have a 2006 1895 cc petrol Mazda . Oil pressure light flickers at low rpm, less than 1000, while idling or waiting at lights - what are possible causes? I am being told by garage, who cannot diagnose problem, that engine is beyond cost effective repair!
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
checked the oil level .Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

1. How many miles on this engine .
2. Have you checked the oil level.
3. What is the idle of this engine when the light flickers lower than 600rpm.
4. Any engine noise ,like a top end ticking sound that will go away ones engine revs are higher than 1000rpm.
5. Has any work been done in the past on this engine .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How many miles on this engine - 90,0000 miles .
2. Have you checked the oil level - yes, the oil pressure came on as it had used 3 litres of oil in less than 1 month. No evidence of any oil leaking from engine
3. What is the idle of this engine when the light flickers lower than 600rpm - no, just kicked in at about 900rpm.
4. Any engine noise ,like a top end ticking sound that will go away ones engine revs are higher than 1000rpm - mazda petrol engines of this sort are quite noisy but nothing out of the ordinary, knocking etc.
5. Has any work been done in the past on this engine - car bought in February - nothing evident in service record .

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
.Hi .
Thanks for getting back .

Okay first using 3 lit of oil a month is very high a good engine will use 1 lit over a period of 1000miles.

No evidence of any oil leaking will indicate the engine is burning off the oil .
Sounds like piston oil rings are sized up .or you have bad valve steam seals .

What i suggest you do first is have the oil pressure checked with a mechanical oil presser gauge .this will confirm bad oil pressure.

Test with the gauge first if pressure is good replace the sensor.
if pressure is bad then like the shop said expensive engine repairs ..

I say check the pressure as in many cases a bad oil pressure sensor will flicker when at idle ,to check the real pressure will confirm engine oil pressure condition.

Now let go out that the sensor is good, and oil pressure is good, do the following as this might help save you this engine from burning off all this oil .

If the rings are sized up,
This system that i do with older engines will work if the rings are not damaged but just sized with oil carbon.

1.Run engine to operating temp .
2.Remove the spark plugs .
3.pour 3oz of clean brake fluid into each spark plug hole into the cylinder.
4.leave for 6 hrs to soak in and past the piston rings ,this will remove the carbon build up in the rings.
5.Put a rag over each spark plug hole and crank over the engine this will exspell the fluid that maybe in the cylinder ,replace spark plugs ,drain engine oil and replaced with a new filtrer and oil.
6.Start the engine and after two minutes hold rpm at 2000rpm to burn off any brake fluid
engine will smoke a lot of whitishgray for a few minutes ,

now you should be go to go and use this engine a little while longer and saved some cash.

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me .

Kindest regards Greg
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience: Import technician.