indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician.
29331485

my oil filler cap came off and engine ran really eraticaly.nowreplaced

Customer Question

my oil filler cap came off and engine ran really eraticaly.nowreplaced cap but engine looses power then gains power and smokes.on inspection I saw a red glow coming from what I think is some sort of sensor on the exhaust half way down the system.the engine warning light flashes when running rough,but stays on when running okay.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hi .

You have to get your car hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool to check for malfunction codes .
The exhaust sensor is what is glowing looks like you have a damaged catalytic converter, this is what is making the engine run ruff.

When the light starts to flash this is a misfire code and when it stays on this means the management system has stored malfunction
codes , from the codes you will know what has malfunctioned .
You have to get this checked as soon as you can before you have a bigger issue with the engine and exhaust system.

If you need further help with this issue or the codes you get from the management system then please get back to me .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have now replaced all the coils plugs ht leads and exhaust sensors and this seems to have cured it thsnks.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Thank you for getting back .

After having a bad misfire and one of the sensors glow have them checked
with a scan tool and check after a few days for malfunction codes
as said a bad misfiring engine MAY damage the Catalytic converter.

Replacing the O2 sensors was a good move these will let you know if the Cats where damaged .

Kind regards Greg