indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician.
29331485

Hello, I own a Mazda 6s, 1.8l petrol 07 plate. Its sometimes

Customer Question

Hello, I own a Mazda 6s, 1.8l petrol 07 plate. Its sometimes making a nasty egg smell when pulling up after my short journey to work, I've heard it could be the cat. Any advise? Also it is using a great amount of oil and I can see no leaks? Can you offer advise please.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

How many miles on this engine ,

Is the check engine light "ON" when the engine is running .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just shy of 60k. No lights on when engines running

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Fraser.

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide.
This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel.
Normally the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which has no odor. When the converter breaks or the filtering layers have worn down inside the converter, the sulfur is not transformed into the odorless form. Therefore a strong rotten egg smell is produced.

Another possible cause for this smell may be that the converter is plugged.
Unfortunately you cannot repair a converter but need to have it completely replaced.

Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator.
Have a local shop do some basic diagnostic checks .

If it has just started doing it then see if maybe its the petrol station you are using as bad fuel may cause this so try another Petrol Station first to eliminate this possibility .

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that I will look to get a diagnostic check done. Could you tell me why it is using so much engine oil?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Is the exhaust smoking at all and if so what colour .

How much oil are you using over the 1000 miles

Greg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no smoke. Its using anywhere from 1/2 to 1 litre approx

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Fraser .

Using 1/2 to 1 liter per 1000 miles is normal oil consumption.

So don't worry about this ,as long as you are not smoking blueish
smoke or the engine is covered in oil your engine is still normal .

Shorter distance drives will cause higher oil consumption.

Rgards Greg