Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My 2004 Mazda 6 (2.0) diesel pops out of 5th gear after 10-12

My 2004 Mazda 6 (2.0) diesel pops out of 5th gear after 10-12 miles, sooner if on a motorway. Why?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

There is a plastic keeper inside of the gear box that holds each gear in to place and 5th gear is known to fail first and cause this problem.
The part is cheap, however the gearbox has to be removed in order to make this repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike,

This is not a major problem. If I do 10 to 15 mile trips it never happens. Then it pops out a few times in succession and may not happen again for several miles. Would changing the transmission fluid help in view of the fact it never happens when the car is cold ? The car has done 92,000 miles.

Regards,

John Horan

No it's not a major issue, it is literally just a piece of plastic it's just difficult to get to, the torque is what makes it pop out. Changing the fluid likely won't help, however at the mileage would not be a bad idea anyway. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mike,

The fact that it pops out of gear is not a major issue for me as the driver. The fact that it never happens for 10 to 15 miles is something I don't understand. Is there a reason why it never happens on short journeys? Why does it not happen a mile down the road as an example?

Regards,

John

Basically the best way that I can explain it is that the clip is cold when the vehicle first starts out and after the gear box heats up so does the clip, ordinarily this would not be a problem except the splines on the clip are worn out which makes it pop out of gear on longer journeys. Thank you.