Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My 2000 x reg 1.8 MX5 starts from cold, but when hot will not

Customer Question

My 2000 x reg 1.8 MX5 starts from cold, but when hot will not start. We have changed the valve that sits behind the engine, as we were told that was the problem. But the problem persists. Also the emissions are way out, so we are having issues with the mot. What can you suggest please?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE -Im happy to help / advise you -

Im going to need to know exactly the name of the "sensor" you have replaced before we progress as that can make a big difference to the diagnosis...

Plus - do you have any fault lights on the dash at all - ?

Also - have you had a plug in diagnostic test done at all - do yo have any fault codes to give me?

What mileage does the car have?

What is its service / recent repair history ? and background to the problem developing?

To - you mention emission problems for the MOT - what exactly are they ? What parts are failing?

Rgds, MIKE.............................................