Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

20 month old mx5 mk3.5 done 7.500 miles. When starting from

20 month old mx5 mk3.5 done 7.500 miles. When starting from cold its worse but when warm also. Rattle from what seems to be from the cam shaft area for a few seconds. Told from my dealer that they are MADE to do it. Help please
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
This is not a normal operation of this engine, for this to happen this is a oil pressure issue and basically means that the proper amount of oil pressure is not being supplied to the top end, this in turn doesn't prime the lifters correctly. The problem on these vehicles is the oil pump becomes weak and does not supply proper oil flow. The oil pump needs to be tested as a first step.