indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician.
29331485

have replaced battery and ignition module on 2001 mazda 626

Customer Question

have replaced battery and ignition module on 2001 mazda 626 2l .get 2 sparks at plug then no spark , have to turn ignition key all the way back to get another 2 sparks then nothing.
any help much apprecieted.
ken
Category: Mazda
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.

Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Did you check for malfunction codes ,

Seen bad ignition switch and ignition modules do this as you have tried,but most common is a bad crankshaft sensor .

Check for codes as this may help you find the problem if no relivant codes then check the crank and cam sensor with a scope .

Crank sensor is the most common for this issue, test this one first.

If the two are good, check that the timing belt has not jumped as this will also cause this issue .

If you need further assistance with this issue then please let me know by getting back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Kind regards Greg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

crankshaft sensor gets 540 ohms and 1.6 volts when cranking camshaft sensor gets 1.04 ohms and 0.2 volts cranking engine has started sometimes but cuts out after a few seconds sounds fine so i think timing belt is ok.dont have access to diagnostic gear.any ideas?

cheers ken

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ken try the following .

Ignition ON and start the engine by going direct at the starter motor by jumping it , and not with the key if she starts replace the ignition switch .
If not get back to me .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi i tried that and still no start

cheers ken

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ken.

Do you have coils on each plug or a coil pack .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi greg i have a coil pack

ken

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Try another coil pack Ken and ignition wires, if not been replaced in the last year or so .

Greg