Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mazda Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

HiI have a 61 mark (3 1/2 years old) Mazda 6 estate and

Hi I have a 61 mark (3 1/2 years old) Mazda 6 estate and it's developed a steering wheel vibration when I put it on left-hand lock, when doing 5 mph. Mazda dealer just says it needs a new steering rack, which includes the electric motor, and which will cost me £2,600 (£2,100 for parts) !! Is it possible that it's only an electrical problem. How can this happen on a car which is only 6 months out of warranty? Martin

ps where can I get a reconditioned steering rack, or a cheaper new one?

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
This is actually a pretty common issue on these vehicles, what wears out prematurely on the steering rack is the left and right bushings, the bushings are not sold separate from the rack. To fix the issue that you are having the rack will indeed need to be replaced, as far as getting it cheaper the internet would be the best option.