Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Got a Mazda 3 - my computer chip came on last night -a

Hi - got a Mazda 3 - my computer chip came on last night -a year after the previous one. Anyway I seemed to think it was to do with oil, so went to petrol station and asked what oil I could use to fill my car. Petrogas sold me 5l of 10W40. This morning noticed white smoke billowing from my exhaust. Crawled to the closest car garage that drained the oil and put a new filter. They drove it to clear it but the car was still billowing. They assured me it was the excess oil in the exhaust system and black gunge was visible and dripping. The billowing smoke is making me nervous, is there a way I can get rid of it? It has a smell and earlier today several people came out of shops concerned. The cloud of smoke is large when engine is hot. Secondly, the car garage read my computer chip light - apparently short circuit in manifold. Do I honestly have to buy a new manifold? Car is 10 years old but very low mileage and drives really well. Something the mechanics noted as well, and has come up at annual MOT's. Love the car, but not cure if it is worth spending on a new manifold or simply changing cars. I am a female that holds on to cars coz I hate adjusting to something would obviously have to go for another Mazda 3. Thanks
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Morning Shantal,

Was hoping to get an answer. Looks like you may not be able to respond in time. Let me know and I will have to look elsewhere.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** I have been asked to help you with your Mazda issues as above..
Im sorry to see you have had a wait.
Before we progress then - as there has been a delay.. can you please just tell me exactly where you are up to at the present time... whats been done since asking your question if anything - or if anything is worse etc... then we can carry on...
Kind Rgds, MIKE.........................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me.... I have not driven the car much since the change in oil etc but car driving well when I do, so do not think it is worse. I simply hate the cloud of white smoke when engine warms up.

After oil change by mechanics, I was told to drive it in order to clear the exhaust system, but I got nervous when the clouds of smoke from my car seemed rather large. I took it out yesterday, and when the car warms up, I get the smoke. On the way back I left the engine running for a while and it did not seem to be as heavy (perhaps worse when I press on accelerator)

With regards ***** ***** or rather the short circuit (forgotten the code number picked up when they connected computer to my car), though my car has very low mileage I am unsure whether to spend the money on a WHOLE manifold and wanted to know if there is another way to deal with the short circuit.

Thanks Mike

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again..
Thank you for your reply and further info...
Ok - just before we move on .. can I just ask you for the cars "year"..and engine version..
Or - if you can give me the cars FULL reg number - I can go off that..
Best Rgds, MIKE.
( I will be off for a time this afternoon - but as soon as I receive your reply, I will get back to you asap thereafter )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

Car is Nov 2004, and is a Mazda 3 TS2 (V5 also has Variant 12F Version 2)

Mike don't worry about rushing response, I will be going out in a couple of hours, too (will use train and avoid driving).....will be online tomorrow. Thanks

Kind Regds

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Esther -
Thank you very much for your reply..
I did plan on being here again yesterday - 'time and unforeseen circumstances" altered all that ! my apologies there..
With this issue you have Esther, the cooling system needs to be checked - check (when cold) to see if its losing water / coolant - I say this because white smoke out the exhaust is usually a sign of water / coolant getting into the exhaust manifold - and out the exhaust..because of an engine fault - be it leaking manifold gasket seals to head gasket issues.
As you get the excessive white smoke - that has to be checked. Whatever caused the issue will still be there -continuing to fill the exhaust - so it needs to be checked as above. It doesn't sound like from what you have said, that they have identified and cured the initial issue that causes the white smoke ( as above ) - hence it will never "burn off" from the exhaust mo matter how much you run/ drive it.
- Also, its worth noting, that some of the Mazdas did have engine ventilation problems - where Mazda dealers fitted a different engine vent kit to some to cure issues such as you have.. ( different cause ).. I do not know if this applies to yours.. The best thing to do is to just give your local Mazda dealer a call - tell them the issue you have - and say to them that you have heard there might be a recall in place for this issue - they will ask you for the cars reg number.. and then they can check if that applies in your case -or not. If so, they can deal with it - recall work does not cost the customer. If its not covered - then you are back to needing to have the checks done as above... again - white smoke is generally caused by coolant getting into the the "cause" needs to be found / fixed.
As regards the "short circuit" in the manifold Esther, I would need to be told the actual fault code they are getting for that to investigate that further if still needed.. I know you can get short circuit on the Air flow meter / sensor that would cause driveability issues, but that needs verifying if need be -you can let me know anytime on that.
So thats the way forward on this Esther - I would suggest make the call to Mazda first - then go from above / as needed.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert