Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Matt,i'm Didier and have a Mazda 3 2.2 turbo diesel sport 60 p

Customer Question

hi Matt,i'm Didier and have a Mazda 3 2.2 turbo diesel sport 60 plate
just had a recon engine fitted and what happens is that when the engine cool down,after arround 1 1/2 hour
when i start again,it sort of run eraticly and smoke a lot and sometimes i can hear a steady knocking noise from the engine near the driver's front wheel
as soon as i'm on the move,it runs fine
can you help?
thanks
regards
Didier
my garage had the injectors checked and clean and it didn't make any difference
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd 1st check theconnections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electricalconnection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time whichcertainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with theEGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brakecleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Matt,so you think it could be a problem arround the EGR or could it be something else?

thanks

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
hello Didier thats the 1st place I'd check as this makes all sorts of noises when faulty and often produces smokethe noise from the wheel could be a faulty driveshaft jointtypically these won't produce any vibration unless badly damaged but they can be noisy or'clonk' for a long time beforehand, turn the steering to full lock and look at the drive-shaft rubber boot there should be no rips or tears in it and the suspension should be clean and dry of any grease. If you reverse at areasonable speed with the steering on full lock a worn joint will 'click'.