Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Should the DPF come on before it gets fully blocked up?

Customer Question

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello yes the DPF light should come one before its fully blocked up, that its assuming the diagnostic pressure sensor is functioning correctly as if the sensor is faulty or disconnected then you're never going to get the DPF light So I'm assuming that this is the diesel engine and if its going into limp mode then its highly likely that there's a fault code stored in the ECU On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection. The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.