Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 99 demio. took the key or of ignition, fine. went

Customer Question

I have a 99 demio. took the key or of ignition, fine. went to put it back in and the key turns without any resistance, as if its not catching the ignition, no clicks. won't star. lights are on dashboard without key in. one light is a red car with key inside it. I read that this is an immobiliser warning light. didn't know the car had one. bought car second hand, just came with key, Nebr had this problem before. am I missing some simple procedure
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. Sounds to me like your ignition switch or the barrel itself is broken..when the key is inserted this obviously allows the barrel to turn and release the steering lock..on the rear of the barrel or opposite side of the barrel..there is a sprung loaded ignition switch that when turned by the barrel puts the dashlights up and sends power to starter etc..if the switch is stuck or broken then it could be just stuck in the ignition on position thus why the key/barrel is just doing nothing.depends whats actually broken here..the next stage here is to get the cowling off surrounding the steering column and ignition..disconnect battery first.. and the remove the ignition switch on the rear..and see if it broken or worn....what you could try first is some wd-40 into the lock..just incase the pins in the barrel havent got siezed etc...but as above its going to have to be case of checking both these parts to rule which one is faulty..