Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

how long should it take for a severely damaged nerve to heal

Customer Question

how long should it take for a severely damaged nerve to heal and a ulnar claw to heal
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

Dr. Sohaib :

Well the exact time frame is difficult to predict because the nerve healing or self repair is dependant upon a number of factors.

Dr. Sohaib :

These include the severity of nerve injury. the extent of nerve damage, concurrent medical illness and rehabilitation measures taken.

Dr. Sohaib :

In general, the ulnar nerve will regenerate at the rate of 1 inch per month.

Dr. Sohaib :

Tests like EMG and Nerve Conduction Velocity can be done at intervals to see if the muscles are getting innervated and recovering or not. If there is no significant spontaneous healing seen after 3-6 months of initial injury, then a surgical intervention is usually recommended/planned.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Customer:

I have a ulnar claw that hasnt healed for 7 weeks and am worried it will not sort itself out do many not heal and what would be the surgical intervention i had really tight cuffs on my hands and damaged the nerve at the wrist

Dr. Sohaib :

Okay.

Dr. Sohaib :

The surgical intervention is in the form of nerve repair.

Dr. Sohaib :

The surgeon will explore the nerve, and will approximate and stitch the damaged ends of the nerve.

Customer:

what does that entail as the doctor said the nerve hasnt been cut just severely damaged due to compression

Dr. Sohaib :

There are several levels of the nerve injury. There can be a superficial damage to the nerve fibres. It can be half cut. Fully cut/damaged.

Dr. Sohaib :

The nature of injury you have mentioned suggests a partial injury.

Dr. Sohaib :

In such kind of injuries there are high chances that the nerve will regenerate itself and will heal adequately with out any surgery.

Dr. Sohaib :

However, 6 months is the maximum time period for which it would be followed looking for signs of recovery (detected clinically as well as by EMG).

Customer:

is it still ok that it hasnt healed in 7 weeks have I still got time for a recovery

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes, 7 weeks is too early to say that you need surgery. You should wait for 6 months atleast. After that, if sufficient recovery has not occured, then surgeon can perform a repair to fasten the recovery.

Customer:

can I have more than 1 nerve conduction test after a few weeks to check the progress

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes.

Customer:

brilliant thanks very much

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities