Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi My dad was recently diagnosed with a mucocele by an oral

Customer Question

My dad was recently diagnosed with a mucocele by an oral surgeon, which over time has slowly shrunk. Since the appointment it has shrunk further but has gone hard.
Should we worry that it is hard?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Mucocoeles are benign swellings and occur in the oral mucosa most often. Most of them spontaneously resolve over time so it is not surprising that the cyst in your fathers case has regressed. These cysts often get hard when they regress due to fibrosis and inflammation. There is no malignant transformation in true mucocoeles so, this is not something you should be worried about.
However, since these cysts tend to recur it is wise to get this removed by the Oral Surgeon. This can be done as a day care procedure and under local anesthesia.
Hope this helps.
If you have any further queries, please do not rate this answer and reply back. If you are satisfied then please leave a positive rating and choose good or excellent service.
Best.