Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have had a candida infection now for 5 years and it will

Customer Question

I have had a candida infection now for 5 years and it will not budge i have tried the treatments given to me by my gp but they are not enough i need a long course of antifungal treatment. I have severe inflammation throughout my body and inflammatory arthritis I think i have a systemic fungal infection and have tried talking to my dr about it but they do not take it seriously. Im at my wits end please help
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

Where exactly do you think the infection is?

Dr. Sohaib :

How long did you take Fluconazole?

Dr. Sohaib :

Have you seen an immunologist/internist?

Dr. Sohaib :

Write down your response once you ENTER CHAT and use REPLY BUTTON.

Dr. Sohaib :

I will give you an answer if i am online, or will get back to you after some time if i am offline.

JACUSTOMER-g4fatiyw- :

Well its on my tonge gut and vagina. The course of tablets was 5 x 150mg but as soon as it stopped all symptoms come back, iv tesated negative for hiv. I do not understand why my body is not fighting it off.

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much for the valuable input.

Dr. Sohaib :

Well at first place, it is little unusual for other wise healthy individuals to get fungal infections, and that too repeatedly.

Dr. Sohaib :

This is usually common amongst people who have weakened immune system such as in patients with HIV, diabetes etc.

Dr. Sohaib :

Another condition, called CVID (Common Variable Immune Deficiency) can also manifest clinically in the same way i-e the patients get repeated infections (usually chest) and these worsen over time and become difficult to treat.

Dr. Sohaib :

So these are the few possibilities for which you need to be screened. Ideally an internist and immunologist should work together in close liaison on your case so as to chalk out further management plan.

Dr. Sohaib :

As far as treatment of ongoing systemic fungal infection is concerned, at this point the choice of antibiotic/antifungal drugs should be directed by culture and sensitivity test.

Dr. Sohaib :

This test will exactly identify the type of fungal organism responsible for the infection and will also direct the use of specific antifungals which will work best against this.

Dr. Sohaib :

For systemic fungal infections, prolonged courses have to be taken, 2-4 weeks in tapering regimen while closely monitoring the symptoms and serial clinical monitoring.

Dr. Sohaib :

Other dugs like voriconazole, itraconazole, amphotericin etc can be given depending upon the cultutre and sensitivity test.

Dr. Sohaib :

So you can make up your notes now, get back to an internist and discuss all these details to get further treatment chalked out that suits best to your needs.

Dr. Sohaib :

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carry a good prognosis with appropriate management.

Stay relaxed.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will

appreciate 4/5 Star Rating (Good/Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the

only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up

questions or clarifications any time.