Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a lump under my chin , a bigger one on the right side

Customer Question

I have a lump under my chin , a bigger one on the right side and a smaller one on the left side , what could it be?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--are you saying these are all under your chin? How long have they been there and are they tender?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yeah , about two weeks , and no they are not tender

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--are they movable or more like fixed? Soft or relatively hard?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They are quite moveable , can move them around alot , and how can i test if they are hard? by squeezing them? , they are quite hard but not solid

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--there are two possibilities here, considering the location. Most likely these are just simple sebaceous cysts and not serious although they may not resolve on their own and if they become bothersome they can be excised under local anaesthesia. The other possibility would be submandibular salivary glands that may have a stone blocking the duct and in that case the stones would have to be removed by an ear, nose, and throat specialist. To determine exactly what these are, I suggest you have a doctor examine you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So it is certain that it is not serious? like lymphoma or leukemia?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
No--not having arisen this quickly and not the right location for lymph nodes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You Doctor. So i shouldnt be worried? haha thankyou very much :)

5* Doctor

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
No--no need to worry but my pleasure and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou i am rating now :) , just one more quick answer , is it okay for my right one too be alot bigger than the other one? and i can move them from under my chin to the side of my face with the right one , the left one moves aswell but it is too small.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Doctor Chip is Offline
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does Any Doctor know if this is normal?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry--I only now was notified of your post. Yes, these can be of various sizes and that still is not worrisome. And you rate my answer by clicking on the smiley face that indicates excellent service
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

also , is it normal for two to be inflammed and cause no pain? , they also kind of flop out of move when i lie down , and i can move them abit , so is everything okay?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
These cysts can become infected but still nothing serious. And if by chance these are blocked salivary glands, those too can become inflammed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

oh okay , so it is nothing too worry about? , what happens if they become infected?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Nothing to worry about but if they do become infected you'd need antibiotics. And please remember to click on the appropriate smiley face. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay , I have rated :) , thankyou doctor , one last question , what would the signs of lymphoma be? , i know i am okay thanks too your guidance , i just wondered.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
There can be enlarged nodes but those usually appear in the neck, arm pits, or groin. Also unexplained fever, night sweats, itching without a rash.