Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

what is the healthiest amout of alcoholic drink a day/week

Customer Question

what is the healthiest amout of alcoholic drink a day/week to improve heart health, i dont drink often once every few months but i keep seeing that it is good for your heart
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the Professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
I think that perhaps the reason you haven't gotten an answer earlier is that experts don't really agree on what is the healthiest amount of alcoholic drink. It's true that many studies have shown that alcohol can be beneficial to the heart. For a male, 1 or 2 drinks daily is probably good for your heart, assuming average body size. For women, alcohol can increase breast cancer risk, and drinking more than 1-2 drinks in men can increase colon cancer risk. Red wine might be best for your heart, as it contains antioxidants such as reservatrol, but there is conflicting evidence about that. In general, it's probably more important to do other good things for your heart, such as exercise, don't smoke, avoid bad fats, watch your cholesterol and blood pressure. If you do all those things and wish to do more, perhaps an alcoholic drink a few times a week or once daily would be good for your heart. The evidence isn't all in, and since you're young, you could easily wait a few years before making any change in your alcoholic intake. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you , so maybe just a light beer / glass of wine with dinner now again is the safest bet?
That sounds very reasonable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also which is the best amount of exercise for your heart ? Can to much be bad ? I see many body builders and wrestlers deaths are from heart attacks
Aerobic exercise is best for your heart. Some weight training is beneficial for general health. I suspect that heart disease in body builders and wrestlers is likely related to anabolic steroid use.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
Thank you for your rating and payment.