Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Back in 2011 I asked a question about lower stomach pains I

Customer Question

Back in 2011 I asked a question about lower stomach pains I was getting.

It turned out that I had an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit that was attached to a small bit of ovarian tube left many years ago after an hysterectomy. I asked my consultant at the time whether there was a chance that I could get another cyst as the reason for my hysterectomy was continuous polys growing on my ovaries and she said there was nothing a cyst could attach to.

I am now getting the same pain again, lower middle stomach, feel sick and off my food, very tired all the time. I have been given two lots of antibiotics, one lot of steroids that my doctor believes it was a UTI, sample came back with a bit of infection. However this is what happened before and after going to hospital to see why I kept getting the UTI the cyst was discovered during an ultrasound.

My doctor just keeps giving me antibiotics, should I insist on being sent for another ultrasound to see if it could be another cyst or is my surgeon correct and the fact that there are no ovaries or ovarian tubes now in my stomach means it cannot be another cyst?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

It is not likely that it is another cyst, as long as the cyst is completely removed and no tube remains.

You should request another ultrasound since no cause has been found for your pain and you have already received multiple treatments.

Ovarian cancer can occur in women who have had a hysterectomy and tubes and ovaries removed. It is called primary peritoneal cancer. While i think it is unlikely that this is the cause of your pain, it is important to have it ruled out. You should also have the CA 125 blood test if you have not done so.

I hope this gives you a good start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the CA 125 blood test something special, is that what I have to ask the doctor to send me for along with the ultrasound?. I will have to use the NHS so am sure it is going to take a while, should I let the doctor prescribe another lot of antibiotics in the meantime?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
The Ca125 is a marker for ovarian cancer so yes it is special. I am not sure what antibiotics were prescribed. If it is for a urinary tract infection, try nitrofurantoin (macrobid) twice daily for 2 full weeks.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your payment