Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

My 4 year old son has very loose stools. Diarea every time

Customer Question

My 4 year old son has very loose stools. Diarea every time he goes to the toilet. Seems like he has alot of wind and 'exlodes' everytime he goes. He's even had a few accidents as not got to toilet in time. He's had this problem since he was about 2. Diet is very good and he has no stomache pains. Overall health is very good. is there anything I can give him as he wont come to the doctors and he's not ill with it.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 4 years ago.

Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name isXXXXX and I'll be providing medical information for you today.

Dr. C. :

You can try increasing his intake of bananas, apples and white rice. All of these foods tend to help with diarrhea. If eating those daily don't help, he would benefit from evaluation as he may have an inflammatory bowel condition or food intolerance that requires more treatment. It may also be helpful to try elimination of gluten and diary from the diet for a few weeks.

Dr. C. :

I hope these home measures are helpful.

Dr. C. :

Please ask questions if you have any.

Customer: He doesn't like bananas but will try the rice and apples. What does evaluation mean?
Dr. C. :

It means testing by a doctor to see if there is an underlying medical cause for his digestive issues.

Dr. C. :

You can hid banana in a smoothie.

Dr. C. :

Bananas are the most effective at treating diarrhea.

Dr. C. :

In a blender you can smooth a sliced banana and mix it with applesauce for example. Adding some flavored yogurt and cinnamon can hide the banana.

Dr. C. :

Or bake banana bread.

Customer: ddoesn't bananas but will try apples and rice. What does evaluation mean
Dr. C. :

It seems like you can't see what I'm typing.

Dr. C. :

Let me switch to QA mode out of chat. We can continue back and forth in QA mode although not as easily as in chat mode.

Dr. C. :

But chat doesn't seem to be working for you if you can't see what I'm typing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks very much for that. He does like yogurt alot ! Could that be a problem? Banana milk shake?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 4 years ago.
You can try it. Usually people who have dairy sensitivity still do fine with fermented forms such as yogurt or kefir. You can run experiments in 2 week intervals and keep track of what makes a difference. SO first adding the bananas, apples and rice for 2 weeks. If that doesn't work try eliminating all dairy for 2 weeks. If that doesn't work, try eliminating all gluten for 2 weeks. In most situations, you will come across something that helps among those.