Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Ive had a rash on my chest and face for almost 2 weeks now,

Customer Question

I've had a rash on my chest and face for almost 2 weeks now, it looks like tiny white-head spots (some just pink, some with a little "puss"). It is not itchy and started on the side of my neck and quickly spread to my chest and then face. I don't normally have skin problems. I have no other symptoms. I have not used any new cosmetics or eaten any new foods. The only thing I can think of is antibiotics - but I stopped taking them a few days before the rash appeared - I was taking Amoxycilin 500mg x 3 a day for 7 days and Metronidazole 400mg x 3 a day for 5 days (for a infection around my wisdom tooth - I was given Amoxycilin first but as the infection kept spreading I was given Metronidazole a couple of days later and told to take both for the duration).
I have only had a mild reaction to another antibiotic once before - Doxycycline - where I developed a rash on my face shortly after taking them - in fact I was told by a pharmacist (when I asked for advice for the "spots") that it was most probably an allergic reaction to the antibiotic.
My question is, is it likely to be a reaction to the antibiotics even though it started after I finished taking them? If so, how long can I expect it to last, what can I do/take to improve it, and should I not take these antibiotics in future? Or alternatively, if it is unlikely to be a reaction to the antibiotics, what else could this be?
I am a 36 year old female, with the only underlying problem being CFS/ME (this may be of relevance - since CFS I have become very sensitive to medication and have had adverse reactions to quite a few prescribed medicines).
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

This does not sound like a rash from an allergic reaction. Generally this would begin sooner after starting the antibiotics, and would resolve fairly quickly after stopping them. This may be a folliculitis. Are you able to send a picture? That would be helpful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hope this image is legible. The rash changes from day to day - sometimes it is less or more visible, but there are several new "spots" every day.Rash on chest

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this helps. This is most likely folliculitis. Although it is strange that it began while you were already on antibiotic.

Folliculitis is an inflammatory condition that affects hair follicles. It is a a small area of pus that surrounds the opening of a hair follicle. Old lesions that have no more pus appear as red bumps. Many follicles can be affected anywhere there is hair.

It can be treated with an over the counter body wash that contains benzoyl peroxide. You can get one that is a "scrub" or exfollient as well. Neutragena brand makes a good one.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I read up a little about it in the meantime and am rather surprised as I cannot see why I would get this as it is on areas that I do not shave (face/chest) or cover (I usually wear v-neck tops), and I use a scrub in the shower daily, and only light moisturisers as not to clog the pores. What else could cause this? Could it be anything else?

(I think I may have had folliculitis on areas that I shave but they were bigger, and itchy and sometimes painful and only lasted for a few days.)

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
I believe its what it is. Shaving is not required. The other thing it could be is molluscum contagiosum which is a viral infection. It spreads like you describe. The lesions always get a white head. I would consider trying the benzoyl peroxide wash.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.