Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, my question is as followed, when I was 12 weeks pregnant

Customer Question

Hi, my question is as followed, when I was 12 weeks pregnant my wbc count was 7.9 and lymph was 1.5, all in the normal range, at 29 weeks pregnantmy wbc was 4.7 and lymph was 0.84 which is low. My midwife never mentioned it but I noticed in my notes. Is this a cause for concern? I was ill the week it was taken could this have caused it. I also had proteien in urine but no infection.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer I will be glad to assist you today.

These values are not worrisome, They are only slightly low and not to a level that they would be concerning, which is probably why your midwife did not even comment on the results.

It is true that a simple viral infection can cause a slightly low white blood count or lymphocyte count, but even in the absence of such an infection, these values would not be worrisome.

There is no association between these values and the protein in the urine. Whether your midwife would be concerned about the protein would depend upon the amount of protein and any other associated findings, such as elevated blood pressure. But a slightly low WBC or lymphocyte count would not make the protein in the urine more worrisome.