Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

i have recently found a soft lump outside the entrance to my

Customer Question

i have recently found a soft lump outside the entrance to my vaginait is not sore or bleeding, shall i need to get it checked with my gp?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Yes you should get this looked at by your Gp or Gyn Dr. You should not ignore any mass in the vaginal area.

This is very likely to be a benign cyst called a Bartholins gland cyst. The Bartholins gland is a normal structure that is present on both sides. The gland drains into the vagina and normally is not felt and causes no problems.

For a variety of reasons,sometimes the opening of the gland becomes blocked and the gland fills with secretions. Often it becomes unblocked and goes away on its own. In other cases, it may need to be drained or removed. This can be a simple office procedure.

This lump may also be a different benign condition, this is just the most likely. While it is not an emergency, it is best to get a confirmed diagnosis.

Best of luck.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.

Hello Helen. Thank you for your payment. If you have more questions after you see your GP, just come back to this page and I can help you. Dr K