Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

himy doctor has prescribes prochlorperazine for dizziness

Customer Question

hi my doctor has prescribes prochlorperazine for dizziness due to inner ear infection..it says on the leaflet to be careful if you have had a stroke..i had a mini stroke 4 years ago..is it safe to take this drug? cheers... gina

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question. I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

Dr. Sohaib :

In general this is a safe medication but it has been observed that medicines of this class (antipsychotics) poses you at a slightly increased risk of clot formation in the veins/lungs/other areas of body.

Customer :

so would you reccommend that i take it as dizziness is horrible

Dr. Sohaib :

Also, these drugs can increase the risk of getting a stroke, so it has to be used with high caution in patients who have risk factors for stroke.

Dr. Sohaib :

You already had a stroke, therefore this is not really an excellent choice in your case.

Dr. Sohaib :

I can understand the problem you have with the dizziness.

Customer :

what would you reccommend..and can i buy something over the counter or will it just go away when ears clear up..as i am on antibiotics

Dr. Sohaib :

There is an alternate choice for controlling the dizziness you have. This drug is called meclizine. It comes with the name (Antivert).

Customer :

do i need a prescription for it?

Dr. Sohaib :

No, this is available over the counter, and no prescription is required in most of the countries.

Dr. Sohaib :

However, you need to check your local pharmacy.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions or clarifications any time.

Customer :

are you still there?

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes i am.

Dr. Sohaib :

Do let me know if something remains unanswered for you.

Customer :

can i buy something in chemist wich is safe to take for dizziness

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes, as i mentioned that you can take Meclizine.

Dr. Sohaib :

Other similar drugs like Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) and Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can also be used. These medicines are available over the counter. No prescription required.

Dr. Sohaib :

Did you note down the names of drugs i just mention?

Dr. Sohaib :

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.