Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I seem to miss a beat fairly often lately I have had test on

Customer Question

I seem to miss a beat fairly often lately I have had test on my Tyroid ,ecocardigraph stress test qnd 24 hrs Holster test.All of them were normal except the 24 Hrs test which clearly showed the missing beat.
My doctor says that this is fairly normal but the feeling is quite unsettling how can they be stopped?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

Hello. Premature beats and "skipped beats" are forms of cardiac ectopy that are very common and increase with age. They are almost always benign. Certain medications and substances such as caffeine can make them more likely. Once we become aware of them, it is harder not to notice them. :-)

Doctor-Bob :

This type of arrhythmia cannot be stopped, per se, and one wouldn't want to try in most cases because they actually represent an early beat which then causes a compensatory delay until the next regular beat is due. It seldom means one has a more serious problem, especially if one has a healthy heart.

JACUSTOMER-1hb7cw1d- :

my doctor wants me to take betablockers is this ok

Doctor-Bob :

For many individuals, the awareness of the pauses in their heart rate dissipates over time and it becomes less noticeable even without treatment. If you have a fast heart rate (tachycardia) or high blood pressure then you might benefit from a beta-blocker. One must be careful with these types of medications, however, because if your ectopy is a result of an occult problem in the pacemaking system of your heart (eg scar tissue, small blockage, etc) they can slow the heart down too much.

JACUSTOMER-1hb7cw1d- :

Foir

JACUSTOMER-1hb7cw1d- :

for a complete picture you should know that i have for the last 20 years been taking 10mg ENALAPRIL dayly to control my blood pressure

JACUSTOMER-1hb7cw1d- :

would the enalapril and the beta blocker have a cumulative effect

Doctor-Bob :

They would on the blood pressure, but not likely on the heart rate...enalapril works in a different way.

Doctor-Bob :

Have you already cut caffeine out of your diet?

Doctor-Bob :

Hello?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hi, Giacomo. Let me know if you have any further questions. If not, a positive rating would be much appreciated. Thank you.
...
Doctor-Bob
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Giacomo. I did not hear back from you. Was my answer helpful to you? If so, please provide a positive rating. This is the only way for me to receive credit for my expertise and time spent helping you.

...

Thanks so much, sir.