Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I am currently taking 500mg of epilim chronosphere anti convulsant

Customer Question

I am currently taking 500mg of epilim chronosphere anti convulsant twice a day for migraines which help greatly but i do suffer with stress and anxiety and i don't know why as i have nothing to be stressed about would it be safe for me to take the herb Rhodiola Rosea with my current medication. Anti-depressants do not agree with me. Karen.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
These are the drug interactions with the herbal you are interested in- drugs metabolized by Cytochrome P450, antidepressants that are MAO inhibitors, and certain CNS stimulants. With cns stimulants, the herb may increase the antihypertensive effects.

The medication you are taking, epilim chronosphere is valproic acid/sodium valproate. This drug actually inhibits the cytochrome p450 enzyme and is not metabolized by it. It is not an antidepressant or a cns stimulant.

You should be fine taking this supplement. You should always check with your Dr first. And you should be sure not to take it with an antidepressant.

Hope this information is helpful to you.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your payment.