Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

Hi I have been on femoston 2/10 since October 2011 and have

Customer Question

Hi I have been on femoston 2/10 since October 2011 and have recently noticed that my hands (particularly the right one ) are swollen and tingly. Is this due to the HRT /And should I stop taking it ?
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
The femoston could be contributing to the swelling, since hormones can cause some water retention and swelling. However, there must be another reason for the swelling now, since you've been on the femoston for more than a year, and it sounds like the swelling is recent. Many people do have some tendency to retain fluid with age, so that may be part of the reason for the swelling. I would recommend cutting back to femoston 1/10, which has half as much oestrogen (1 mg oestradiol vs 2 mg oestradiol). 1 mg oestradiol is all you really need anyway. It's possible that you may notice some hot flashes when cutting back on the oestrogen, but that will disappear as your body adjusts to the lower oestrogen levels. If the swelling persists or is bothersome, I would see your doctor about it. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment.