Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

15 years ago a friend was told by a medium he would marry a

Customer Question

15 years ago a friend was told by a medium he would marry a lady called Anna and have a daughter and go on to be a great spiritual healer. None of this has happened and although he is now 62 it is so deeply ingrained in him that he can't let it go. He retired at 50 and has had a series of voluntary jobs which he has convinced himself is all part of a training programme towards being this great healer. I have been his on off girlfriend and he tells me loves me very much but our relationship can never move forward because of what he has been told. He can't even plan a 4 day holiday in three month's time for his birthday just in case this lady turns up and his life is going to change. Is this a psychiatric condition which he can be helped with?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

Hello. Has your friend seen a psychiatrist, or would he be willing to?

Customer:

He's had counselling and today I suggested he go back to the doctor with a view to seeing may be a clinical psychologist Potentially he might do. Is this classed as a 'mental health' issue as it is holding him back from enjoying a full life.

Doctor-Bob :

It sounds as if he is suffering from a delusional disorder. This is a type of psychotic disorder, a disorder where a person has trouble recognizing reality.

Doctor-Bob :

A delusion is a false belief that is based on an incorrect interpretation of reality. They can occur as part of many different psychiatric disorders. But the term delusional disorder is used when delusions are the most prominent symptom.

Doctor-Bob :

A person with this illness typically holds a false belief very firmly, despite clear evidence or proof to the contrary. In delusional disorders, the delusions involve circumstances that could occur in reality even though they are unlikely, such as marrying someone with a certain name and becoming a great leader.

Doctor-Bob :

Some delusions are quite bizzare and may be more a sign of schizophrenia.

Customer:

Very interesting. At the time he was told this he was at a long ebb emotionally and this helped him through because it gave him something to believe in, ibut he has been unable to let it go. Although he is a Gemini, I don't think he is schizophrenic! he just has this one firm belief which he can't let go off. It is like he has completely programmed himself to believe it.

Doctor-Bob :

Yes, and all mental health diagnoses represent a spectrum of severity. He may be on the mild end of a diagnosis...but he may still need treatment.

Doctor-Bob :

I would highly encourage it..otherwise he is in a bit of a trap.

Customer:

Let's hope he will seek help. You are right to say he is in a trap and it is quite a tragedy that his has happened as he is well liked and lovely kind man.

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

Doctor-Bob :

You're welcome. I think a little help could go a long way in this type of situation.

Doctor-Bob :

And I think he is lucky to have you as a friend.

Doctor-Bob :

Having an advocate is essential to a good result as the patient himself often does not have the insight needed to identify the problem and seek help.

Customer:

Thank you for those words. It has been very helpful.

Customer:

I will sign off now and be delighted to give you an excellent rating.

Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience: 20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine