Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

whole left side been numb or pins ans needles i am 36 work

Customer Question

whole left side been numb or pins ans needles i am 36 work a 60 plus hour a week and a i drink and smoke, left getting to the point of no sensatin. arm . leg abd face
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
How long has this been bothering you?
Are you having any other symptoms?
What type of cancer have you had twice?
Have you had any evaluation for this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

cervical cancer then ovarian, all found by me . had hysterectomy and right ovary gone. tired. , bleeding from my bum and feel awfull from head to toe . lump in my neck and under my rib

How long has the numbness and pins and needle sensation been bothering you?
Have you had any evaluation for this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

6 months

Have you had any evaluation for this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes . once. given a little bit of red paper

I'm sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by a little bit of red paper.
Could you clarify what you mean?
What evaluation was done by your doctor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the red paper, routine

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation. However, the primary concern in someone with a history of cancer that now has neurologic symptoms is whether there has been a spread of the cancer (metastasis) to the nervous system.

The numbness is generally more worrisome than the pins and needles sensation, but having both would increase the concern that it is a neurologic condition. To affect the nerves that serve the entire left side, including the arm, leg, and face, would usually mean that the problem is higher in the brain, as the nerves that serve the face exit the brainstem.

Therefore, it is important that a proper evaluation be performed. The first step would be a neurologic exam, which may guide further evaluation, but would most likely require an imaging study of the brain, such as an MRI.

Of course, there are many different conditions that can also affect the brain, and the neurologic examination and imaging study will look for a variety of causes, not just whether there is a metastasis. For example, the most common cause of left sided numbness would be vascular disease, and smoking is a major risk factor for vascular disease. The imaging study will also see whether there is a vascular cause of the symptoms.

There also should be some evaluation for the rectal bleeding and the lumps. Depending upon what is found on exam, it may require an endoscopy of the rectum and/or colon, an imaging study, or a simply biopsy of the lumps, particularly if located close to the skin.

This evaluation can be started by your GP, but may need consultation with a Neurologist or Gastroenterologist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, been back to my doctor and been referred . saving for private appointment as nhs they missed it twice i know how i feel and have felt before so not prepared to lose more weight ( nearly 3 and half stone sine christmas ) and get poorly again before they look.

You're welcome. I hope that you are able to get an answer soon.