Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

my husband is currently undergoing chemo/radiotherapy for GBM.

Customer Question

my husband is currently undergoing chemo/radiotherapy for GBM. He was debulked in December and is now one month into his treatment. He is also on 2mg dexamethasone per day. He has suddenly started to have hallucintations and hearing people talking. I am very scared. Is this part of the drugs he is taking or has his tumour grown again. Please help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
It is possible from tumor and in some cases neurological effects of the drugs he is on.
Can you list those and I can help you further.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert. Other wise please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept], But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information. Remember, answers do not substitute for a doctor’s visit.
For future questions ask for me I the title or request me at this link
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

I am sorry for your husband's diagnosis

I have treated many patients with GBM with radiation and Temodar oral chemotherapy and dexamethasone steroids.

2mg of dexamethasone steroids is a low dose of steroids, however, this is probably the thing which is causing him hallucinations. steroids are known to cause steroid psychosis. chances are it is not the radiation therapy or the temodar chemotherapy which is causing this.

I would talk to his doctors about his hallucinations and if he could possibly stop the dexamethasone and see if he gets better. dexamethasone is used to decrease swelling in the brain (which can be from prior surgery and radiation). if he has no headaches and no nausea on 2mg of dex, that is a low dose, he might be able to stop it all together and continue on with the radiation and temodar chemotherapy without problems and hopefully his hallucinations will go away.

let me know if you have other questions.