Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

My red blood cells are enlarged (mcv 106.2 fl) I eat a

Customer Question

my red blood cells are enlarged (mcv 106.2 fl) I eat a healthy diet and take vitamin and mineral pills. Is this serious and what is the cause please. I am 79 years old.
William
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Hello.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

There can be many reasons for high MCV.

B-12 deficiency

Folate deficiency

Both these are associated with low levels of hemoglobin as well.

Other causes include;

Pregnancy

Hypothyroidism

Alcohol intake

Early phases of Aplasia of Bone marrow

Some variant of MDS (Myelodysplastic Syndrome)

I am not sure if this has been evaluated further in your case.

Please note that even if you take a healthy diet, there are certain conditions that can make the B-12 and Folate pass through your stomach or intestines unabsorbed.

And the other conditions i already mentioned can be the cause for high MCV, as they are not related to the diet.

So, yes this is a matter of concern and should be investigated further. You should get back to your doctor and have all these details discussed with him to chalk out further management plan that suits best to your needs. Tests like B-12/Folate levels, Endoscopy, Bone marrow Examination etc may be required depending upon the suspected cause.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions or clarifications any time.

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carry a good prognosis with appropriate management.