Dr Mask
Dr Mask, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS with 06 years Clinical Exposure in Surgery & Internal Medicine
27212923

my 91 year old mother has been diagnosed with noroviru/gastroenteritis

Customer Question

my 91 year old mother has been diagnosed with noroviru/gastroenteritis on thursday but was unwell from the Monday when she started also having memory loss. she is eating v small pieces of toast and hot water or lucozade. I am worried about her confused state that wasn't there before. She got it from a relative who went there last weekend unwell.
Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer

I am sorry for the difficult situation your family is at present and can understand your anxiety considering the relationship.

At your mother's age gastroenteritis when causes dehydration and even minimally deranged serum electrolytes can lead to a confused state/memory loss/loss of inhibition or in shorter terms neurological symptoms.

So at this place in time the best plan of action would be to get her medical attention and if already in hospital discuss the serum electrolytes with her doctor.

As soon as she is hydrated and her serum electrolytes brought in range she would very highly likely recover.

Hope This Helped :)

Please let me know if you need further clarification. If satisfied please do remember to click on Positive Rating (preferably number 5 please)

Warm Regards :)
Dr MASK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

her doctor saw her on friday and said she should be feeling a little more like her old self by monday. however I'm worried about the confusion. should we call her ( mum's doctor) and discuss this hydration issue. i'm in America my mum is in oxford england. my brother is just with her today and has to go back to work tomorrow. I wonder if I should fly over tomorrow. I don't want my mum to be frightened in a british national health hospital alone. can a pharmacist give us the hydration she needs

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

please confirm if we should cal the emergency doctor my mum is in england and im in America. My brother is with her right now and he says she ate some toast and marmalade and a weak coffe and was much more lucid and has gone back to bed with a drink to rest.

Expert:  Dr Mask replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the follow up :)

I am sorry for the delay in answer. Got busy with a patient in ER.

She (her doctor) most likely stated so keeping the same point in mind i.e. as the gastroenteritis gets better so would the hydration and her status.

If she can take orally then her hydration can be managed with the help of oral re-hydration salt/solution.

So one can buy ORS OTC (over the counter).

However if she can not take orally (as have you mentioned for her intake being low) or her condition is worsening then she would need intravenous (I/V) fluids for which she would need medical attention and the pharmacist would not be able to help.

Hope This Clarified :)

Best wishes :)
Dr MASK