Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

i was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee last year. i have

Customer Question

i was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee last year. i have suffered from joint pain in shoulder, elbow and knee for many years but only had an xray on my knee. more recently i had chronic back pain and gp diagnosed sciatica. is this linked to my arthritis or has the gp mis diagnosed? this has resulted in my employers placing me in sickness monitoring as they do not see there is a link between the diagnosis of arthiristis of the knee and the more recent back pain. i need to demonstrate that these are linked.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

Mysticdoc :

Lower back pain can be caused by the arthritis of the spine.

Mysticdoc :

Knee joint also can be affected by the arthritis.

Mysticdoc :

Now if this is age related arthritis, this can be seen in the Xrays in many cases.

Mysticdoc :

However MRI scans will be helpful to prove your case.

Mysticdoc :

Also there may be another type of arthritis like ankylosing spondylitis, rheumatoid arthritis etc, affecting your spine and joints.

Mysticdoc :

These require blood tests like sed rate, rheumatoid factor, HLA B27, uric acid level etc

Mysticdoc :

A joint specialist like a rheumatologist or an orthopedic surgeon should be consulted.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

JACUSTOMER-wuq72ruh- :

you did not answer the questions i posed. is the sciatica linked to osteoarthiritis. and the suggestions made were ones i could and have gotten from fre web sites. i will consult my GP.

Mysticdoc :

I actually highlighted the pathogenesis of your condition.

Mysticdoc :

Sciatica means pinching of the nerve at the lower spine.

Mysticdoc :

This is possible from the arthritis of the spine or herniated discs.

Mysticdoc :

But to prove you indeed have sciatica from the arthritis of the spine, you will need MRI scan.

Mysticdoc :

Sciatica is a clinical diagnosis --does not suggest arthritis directly.

Mysticdoc :

To prove sciatica is being caused by the arthritis of the spine, you need additional testing as I suggested above.

Mysticdoc :

Please refrain from rating bad or poor, instead press the reply button for more questions.

This conversation is open till you are fully satisfied to rate good or excellent.

JACUSTOMER-wuq72ruh- :

as i said, i have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the knee not anywhere else at this juncture. My question was if the diagnosis of sciatica could be linked to the diagnosis of the arthritis in my knee, even perhaps, due to being "off kilter" from knee problem

Mysticdoc :

That is a very good concern.

Mysticdoc :

The both diagnosis can be related.

Mysticdoc :

In my opinion this is more likely.

Mysticdoc :

If you have knee problem this also can affect your lower back due to the overuse of the healthier side.

Mysticdoc :

And the same arthritis can affect your lower back.

Mysticdoc :

Some people are more prone for arthritis than others.

Mysticdoc :

So there is stron possibility both the conditions are related.

Mysticdoc :

But the diagnosis and the link can be proven by the above tests as mentioned above.

JACUSTOMER-wuq72ruh- :

no further reply. i believe i have had to "lead" the expert into this answer.

Mysticdoc :

Physical therapy will help with both the conditions however

Mysticdoc :

I am not certain from your rpely.

Mysticdoc :

reply.

Mysticdoc :

I said the same thing before but I did not use the same language--i had to simplify my responses for your better understanding.

Mysticdoc :

4:08 PM

There is no 'lead in' on my opinion.

Mysticdoc :

But I am glad you got the information you needed.

Mysticdoc :

There is no 'lead in' on my opinion.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,