Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Hi there, I have been diagnosed with Peutz-Jeghers-Syndrome

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have been diagnosed with Peutz-Jeghers-Syndrome 40 years ago, all my siblings (4) and my father have the same. My father passed away when he was 58 years old, my 2 brothers were 43 and 41 years old. My sister passed away when she was 53 at the end of last year. Each one of their death was Peutz-Jeghers-syndrome. Now there are only two of us left alive from the immediate family. We have all received ongoing care from various Doctors and Health care services. Now I am constantly worrying if I am the next one to pass away. Would you be able to tell me how much my chances are of living longer than they have?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Theres a small and old study on 72 PJ patients which quoted a 50/50 risk of dying from cancer by age 57. Many of the cancers are preventable and detectable early such as colon and breast so with good preventive medical care, you can strive to be in the other half that survives well past 50. In fact there are patients who live into their 80s. Your chances are at least 50/50

Here is a link to the cancers that are common. I would suggest you consult with an oncologist and have a preventive plan devised for you so that you will know you are doing all that you can for your health.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1826/table/ch1famcan.T9/?report=objectonly

Please let me know if you have questions.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.