Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Please advise as I have hypothyroidism and received my blood

Customer Question

Please advise as I have hypothyroidism and received my blood test results.
Please advise the seriousness of my levels on the following
Thyroid antibodies
Anti - TG Antibody Result 2.60 IU/mL Reference <4.11
Anti - TPO Antibody Result 40.63 IU/mL Reference <5.61
S-TSH (Thyrotropin) Result 7.73uIU/mL H 0.35 - 4.94
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you currently taking anything for the hypothyroidism?
Or was it only recently diagnosed, so that you are not yet on anything?
If on medicine, what medicine and dose are you taking?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr,

on a daily basis

I am currently taking Euthyrox

I take 1 - 25 mcg and

1 - 100 mcg

Thank you for the additional information.

There are two different aspects to these labs - the antibody results and the TSH.

Testing for the various thyroid antibodies will help in determining the type of underlying thyroid disease that is causing the hypothyroidism. In your case, the elevated level of anti-TPO (thyroid peroxidase) with a normal level of anti-TG (thyroglobulin) is consistent with a diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The level of antibodies is significant, but is consistent with the amount of hypothyroidism that is present.

The TSH is an assessment of the adequacy of thyroid hormone replacement. A level of 7.73 is only mildly elevated, but it is still an indication that the current dose of thyroid replacement is inadequate. Although it is obviously preferred to achieve a normal level of TSH, there is also some evidence that certain people with hypothyroidism will do better with a TSH that is low in the normal range, around 0.5-1.5. Some doctors will intentionally set the goal of achieving a TSH that is low in the normal range, while other doctors will first try to achieve a normal TSH, and then assess symptoms and findings on exam to decide whether to adjust the dose further to achieve a TSH low in the normal range. Regardless of the approach, a level of 7.73 indicates that a higher dose of thyroid replacement would be appropriate.

As to seriousness, most people will have relatively mild symptoms with these blood levels, so it is usually not a serious problem at this level. But most people will feel better once they are able to achieve a lower TSH.