DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

i have been toldi have phlebitus. Iwas laid in bed for 2 weeks

Customer Question

i have been toldi have phlebitus. Iwas laid in bed for 2 weeks through vertigo. I think this has caused this.

I have just been looked at by my doctor then given Erythromycin and Hirundoid cream.and sent away. Not told to rest it. I seen a red mark on my leg Tuesday so this was probably happening before then I was not sent for ultrasound or any thing. No blood tes no listening to the heart or blood pressure. I am afraid it is worrying me in case it is Deep Vein Thrombosis or will turn into this. I am from the uk. The doctors here dont seem to do tests like in America. I wish i lived there I cannot go to AandE as we call it as when you have seen your own doctor the hospital will just send you away.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Is there any swelling in either leg?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what more info do u need

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Do you have swelling in either leg or both?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no just hot and achy and hurts to touch

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
OK
This sounds like an antibiotic situation.
And hot applications and anti-inflammtory medication.

If you press a finger into the lower leg, say for a minute, does it leave a dent?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

only for a few seconds the only thing is the cream i was given is a anto coagulant and have been given erythromycin anti biotics. Mayby u dont have this cream in America.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
that is find but it would not be adequate for a DVT.

If you have any denting, is it more on one side or the other?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what was your verdict

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
You are not answering my questions

Is the denting on one side more than another?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no. Do you think it is DVT

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
No I do not
You are not giving any of the signs or symptoms of DVT
IT sounds more like phelbitis or cellulitis.

If swelling were to increase, then I would say get an ultrasound.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information. Remember, answers do not substitute for a doctor’s visit.
For future questions ask for me I the title or request me at this link
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi was on before if i have phleebitus without ultrasound just doctors verdict should i not be put on warfrin or anticoagulant

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
No
You should only be put on that if a clot were confirmed with ultrasound.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was not offered ultrasound. I did not tell doctor i was in bed for 2 weeks. I am afraid it could travel to heart causing heart attack or stroke. As i have sleep apnoea this is worrying. I would probably only get ultrasound if it got worse. If u go to hospital here after going to doctors they will turn u away.
Tell u to go and c ur gp which is not easy here u wait ages.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Clot from the leg goes to the lung, not the heart.

An ultrasound does not seem to be needed, but I guess you could insist...it would help rule out DVT more oompletely.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I feel he should have looked more closely rather than just looked for a few seconds. looked at leg gave prescription. Does this mean i am prone to clots. Or will it go to deep vein

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
It can mean you are more likely to have a clot. If it is phlebitis.
If it is infection, maybe.
please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information. Remember, answers do not substitute for a doctor’s visit.