Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Hi There , I woke this morning and moved my neck a little too

Customer Question

Hi There , I woke this morning and moved my neck a little too quickly and it cracked alot and is now in considerable pain if i try and move it , it is ok in one position as long as i dont move it to the right , feels like a searing pain from shoulder to top of neck what can i do ? thanks alot
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Were any investigations done to see for the cause? Do you have weakness, tingling or numbness at any of the upper limb?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I dont think so

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
hello,

I am happy that there are no associated symptoms like weakness, tingling or numbness. Pain can be due to muscle spasm BUT I would like to rule out irritation of the nerve at the spine level. The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertbral discs {soft tissue cushion if I may say}. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal {formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around}. Any jerk to the spine can cause displacement or bulge of the disc causing pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like pain / numbness / tingling due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too.

I would get a xray for cervical spine to get more answers and peace of mind. MRI may be needed later if felt.

Till than - Avoid posture which trigger pain/ Motrin, warm compress should give relief.

Wish you well.

Best
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more details.

Best