DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello. I have problems with my mother. She has always been

Customer Question

Hello.
I have problems with my mother. She has always been ackward, but I would like to help her and find out what is wrong with her. But sadly she would not go to any doctor on her own, maby, if I can pin point what is wrong with her I can talk her into looking for help.
When she was in her thirties, I was born and what she has told me led me to belive, that she had baby blues, but it has developed into something more serious. She belives that, she is sick. She does not go to doctor, but makes up those sicknessis herself, they are changing over time. In her forties she belived, that there is something wrong with her head. She wore a scarf all the time, ti didnt matter what the weather was like and she talked all the time, every day, that she is going to die soon. Then she belived, that she had a cancer. Now when she is in her sixties she belives, that she has heart condition and somekind of disease, what prevents her from washing herself. She has not washed herself over a year now. She also had a mild car accident a year ago, what led her to belive, that she cant sleep lying on the bed, so she sleeps while sitting on the coach. She has always struggled with expressing herself logically. Often when I speak with her, she does not consentrate on what I am saying, its hard to get contact with her, I have to say with a demanding voice, listen mother. She has other things in her mind. She also is irrational, emotional and irritable, but she is not aggressive. I hope you can give me an answer, what might bring some light into her condition.
Kind Regards,
Riin
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Clearly she needs psychiatric assessment.
This can be psychosis.
It can be obsessive compulsive disorder.

It might be other disorders, skizoafective disorder for example.
Suffice to say that none of what you describe is normal.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information. Remember, answers do not substitute for a doctor’s visit.
For future questions ask for me I the title or request me at this link
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am also struggeling with explaining this to my mother. She is very strong minded, if she makes up her mind on something its hard to change her mind. Maby you can give me some tips on how to explain this to her and make her to seek help. Because, she is sure that she is ill. I have tried to tell her she is not and she is not listening.

Riin

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
I do not know your mother and would not presume.

If she is ill she needs to see a doctor.

If she does not want to see a doctor then prehaps she does not really think she is ill.

She is not a doctor.
So if she wants to be taken seriously, the family needs a doctors assessment.

The family should get together and all express concern, and the nee for her to be seen.