Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

My husband has just "gone off me" after 22 years and cant explain

Customer Question

My husband has just "gone off me" after 22 years and cant explain why.

He has a clinically low testosterone level and this is being treated with Testogel but he doesnt seem inclined to work at our marriage although we still rub along together without much friction.

We have lost all intimacy and i am concerned that there may be a mental issue as he keeps saying he doesnt know why he feels "like an empty tank."

Can a psychiatrist help him and if so where can I find one who specialises in this area?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

Hello. Your husbands libido is not likely to come back until his testosterone levels have normalized. When were they last tested?

Doctor-Bob :

This type of situation, however, is typically more complicated than just testosterone levels. But until these are corrected there is no way to know how much of the problem is hormonal and how much is due to other factors. If it appear to be primarily a psychiatric conditon or a "mid-life crisis" a psychiatrist or counsellor or life coach may be needed.

JACUSTOMER-cxy8hkvt- :

OK. - can you point me in the right direction for counselling etc please?

Doctor-Bob :

Have you discussed this with his GP? He could refer you to a psychiatrist in your area. Life coaches are not doctors but are often specially trained in dealing with midlife issues. They can be found by doing a google search using your postal area code.

JACUSTOMER-cxy8hkvt- :

ok thanks

Doctor-Bob :

You're welcome. I hope all works out for the best. Follow up anytime.

Doctor-Bob :

Are you still there?

Doctor-Bob :

Let me know if you have any more questions about this. In most cases, it is simply a matter of identifying the underlying issues and keeping the channels of communication open. Sometimes a few relatively minor changes in one's relationship or patterns of interacting can make a big difference in terms of reigniting the spark that was once there and re-establishing the intimacy that is so fundamental to the health of both partners.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hi Julie. I did not hear back from you. Did you need any further assistance with your question? Please let me know if you do and I would be happy to help you further.