911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I am am taking diltiazem which replaced metroprolol because

Customer Question

I am am taking diltiazem which replaced metroprolol because I started having PVC's now my pulse is up to 100 to 114 and won't slow down. Is this normal?
Expert:  911DOC replied 3 years ago.

911DOC :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911DOC :

how old are you and are you seeing a cardiologist?

911DOC :

have you had an echodardiogram (ulstraound) of the heart?

Customer:

I am 51. About 2 years ago is saw an ARNP that prescribed metroprolo for BP around 140/90 and had a pulse of 122 consistantly due to excessive uterine fibroid tumors overthe course of 2 months bleeding. My family physician continued to prescribe the metroprolol. The ER doctor I saw 6 days ago said my chest pain was from PVC's and changed my medication. no I do not have a cardiologist.

911DOC :

chest pain is not from PVCs, it's simply not, if you are having chest pain with this heart rate there is not much to talk about because you need to go to the ER.... a different one from the one you went to... because you need to be looked at for cardiac disease... heart attack/ pre-heart attack pain.....

911DOC :

if you are NOT having chest pain I have a question for you... when was your thyroid checked, because there are a few things that can cause a high heart rate, but uterine fibroids is not one of them.

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

My tyroid was checked at the ER and they said it was normal. The chest pain is intermitant like a squezing in my chest and then stops a few minutes or hours later it happens again.

911DOC :

I'm very surprised that no one has 1. ordered an echocardiogram (ultrasound) and 2. had you evaluated by a cardiologist.

911DOC :

it is likely that your pain is from something benign, but people your age DO get heart disease and DO get heart attacks, so it is very surprising no one has looked at this.

Customer:

I dont know what to say but they said I would be fine

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

who do you mean when you say 'they'?

Customer:

The attending physician that discharged me told me to see my family physician in one month of taking the diltiazem and to check my pulse and pressure often which is how I know it stays around 100 to 114

911DOC :

okay, that's reasonable, but I do not have the benefit of seeing the workup they did in the ER, do you know if they did cardiac enzymes? a blood check on your heart?

Customer:

They ran blood tests and asked me to tell them when I felt the pain and on the monitor it showed a PVC with each pain. Why is my pulse still so high please?

911DOC :

well that IS the question and my question is WHY no one you have seen up the the ER doctor bothered to check the most common cause of a high heart rate, your thyroid.

Customer:

I don't know I am sorry

911DOC :

there is not way for me to tell you WHY your heart rate is high, and it is, but this is called 'tachycardia'

Customer:

OK thank you

911DOC :

and your quickest way to getting this figured out would be to see a cardiologist

911DOC :

I'm still here

911DOC :

stand by

911DOC :

however, I CAN tell you this

911DOC :

even though I can't tell you WHY it is high I CAN tell you that PVCs are not dangerous.

Customer:

OK I will make an apointment to find one.

911DOC :

The problem is that with the chest pain and the tachycardia

911DOC :

you NEED to get better answers and more thorough testing than you have had

911DOC :

does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes I should not take what they say as a final answer.

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician