jbmd
jbmd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience
69164063

i first had piles and they bleed

Customer Question

i first had piles and they bleed
Expert:  jbmd replied 4 years ago.

jbmd :

If you have hemorrhoids (piles) and they bleed, you can try treating them with Germoloids or other pile cream. If that doesn't work, sometimes such a cream with steroid (like cortisone) cream will.

jbmd :

Hemorrhoids are dilated blood vessels. To keep the skin and glands around the anus from being chronically infected (as they are near infectious material), there are lots of blood vessels. The hemorrhoid blood vessels are veins, which carry blood away from the area.

jbmd :

If the creams don't work, you may have to have the piles rubber-banded or stapled by a proctologist or gastroenterologist who does the procedure. Meanwhile, keeping your stool soft with fiber and/or stool softeners and avoiding aspirin (if you don't need it medically) can help keep them from bleeding. They can clot and become painful and even infected.

jbmd :

If you are 50 or older or have a family history of colorectal cancer, you should have a colon cancer screen by your doctor, as bleeding hemorrhoids would prevent diagnosis of colorectal cancer by using simple checks for blood in stool.

jbmd :

Also, sitz baths (water hot but not hot enough to burn you) can help shrink hemorrhoids, as can warm compresses if you cannot manage sitz bath.

jbmd :

This is advice only as we cannot examine or treat you here and we cannot replace your local medical doctor, who can arrange definitive pile treatment as well as colon screening.

jbmd :

Hope this helps! Have a good day in the morning in the UK.

jbmd :

I am in the US so if I don't answer right away, please be patient because of the time difference.

jbmd :

Excuse me, but why did you rate poor service? It is comprehensive and correct.

Expert:  jbmd replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I more meant "Is there any more information you need?" I want you to have what you need to get the care necessary for your problem.