DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello, a few months ago I was unwell with the flu and constantly

Customer Question

Hello, a few months ago I was unwell with the flu and constantly tired sleeping 12 hours at a time. I had a blood test which revealed I had a creatinine level of 151. I have since had two other blood tests which have been slowly reducing to 140 and 128. I had a ultrasound and the kidney fuction cam back normal.
Doctor called saying as the readings have been reducing doctor advised everything ok and to have a follow up blood test in 6 weeks. In this time I have abstained from Alcohol and taken no gym protein supplements. I have since lost around 1 and half stone and asked the doctor as everything Is ok can I start exercising and taking protein supplements agai. Doctor advised no,therefore If I cant lead a normal life and take protein then everything Is no alright so I have been referred to a renal specialist and this can take up to 6 weeks.
Its worth noting I used to be a heavy drinker In my late teens but now Its only 2 to 3 times max a month(although Is bingeing). Also, I have not taken any creatine supplements for 6 months so the only supplementation Is whey protein.

Can someone help with what this can be, Kidney function are normal according to scan, I eat very health(although would be considered high protein diet) so the question Is what Is wrong with me If kidney function working, what are reasons for high creatinine levels In blood. Help would be appreciated as I cant exercise and constantly worrying about what I should and shouldnt be eating and putting In my body. Your advice would be much appreciated.
Tony
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
A scan does not show kidney function, it would only show structural abanormalities.
Creatinine that is higher then high normal can represent up to 30 to 50% damage to the kidneys.

The most common causes are high blood pressure, diabetes, and autoimmune kidney diseases. The last one requires the renal specialist for diagnosis.

Whey protein is somethin you should stop
The least protein possible for health is what is needed in kidney disease, NOT protein supplements.

A vegetarian diet, in fact, is ideal.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, thank for your quick response although I have a few other questions.

Firstly, a vegetarian diet Is completely out of the question, do not really understand your statement that protein Is a bad thing, find that unfounded(at least not to excess)

If an ultrasound does not measure kidney functions, what does so I can find out? Ive read creatinine levels fluctulate alot even In a healthy kidney If they have just exercised etc so this would not not be an accurate measurement and just rely on this Information

I do not have high blood pressure and tests do not reveal symptoms of diabetes. so I take on board It may be the autoimmune causing problems. I really want your thoughts on other alternatives on what this could be resulting In a high reading If It is not Kidney function issues.

I was hoping for a more detailed answer on other possibilities to the high reading, not just to abstain from protein and become a vegetarian.

Many Thanks

Tony

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Tony
Allow me to clarify a few points.
Creatinine levels do not go above normal unless there is kidney damage.

Excess protein is a stress to the kidneys, and in most kidney problems a low protein diet is recommended along with ACE inhibitor medication.

Ultrasound shows structurea problems with the kidneys...and sometimes will show evidence of chronic kidney disease.

My advice is not to abstain from protein and become a vegetarian, but to see a kidney specialist as the cause is intrinsic autoimmune kidney disease, the the only way to tell is with renal biopsy..done with a needle, and done by nephrologists.