Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My daughter suffers from bipolar depression. She refuses to

Customer Question

My daughter suffers from bipolar depression. She refuses to take her medication for last 10 months. This has cost her her marriage and is getting divorced. Is there any way to get her to take her medication. I am told she is not ill enough to be sectioned.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am so sorry for your daughter's diagnosis and situation.

I am very familiar with bipolar illness. I have close family members who have bipolar illness who also had periods of time in their lives who did not take their medications.

it is a very difficult situation.

all you can do is continue to try to create incentives for him to take their medications, but still support them and love them whether they take their medications or not.

there is no way to force her to take medications, especially if she is an adult.

and if she doesn't want to take it, she wont, as is going on now.

do you think you would benefit from joining a family of bipolar illness patient support group?