Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

i suffer from a heavy cold and i have sudafed decongestant

Customer Question

i suffer from a heavy cold and i have sudafed decongestant tables as well as olbas inhaler and i also have vicks vaporub witch i use at night on my neck and chest and i use the vaporub in a bowl of warm water and my anwser is can i use all three
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

The Sudafed is an active decongestant. Your Olbas inhaler is a natural essential oils inhaler that contains Peppermint, Cajeput and Eucalyptol. The most active ingredient in it is most likely the eucalyptus.

The Vicks vaporub is menthol and is meant to be on the skin of your chest and inhaled to a lesser degree. Its not likely to be harmful in a warm bowl inhaled as long as you are not actually using it as a steam mist as its not really meant to be used that way. While it would not harm you in most cases, its not the recommended method of use.

The three can be safely combined. Good luck and feel better.