DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

i noticed dark stools today... and am worried.Why has this

i noticed dark stools today... and am worried. Why has this occured. Should i be worried?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Dark stools can imply bleeding in the stomach and small intestine...usually this is black stool
Dark brown is not generally a concern.

If you have reason to be concern, a simple test for blood is easy for any doctor to do.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the issue is that i am colour blind and can not easily tell between if it is brown or red?

what kind of blood test should i have

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
It is not a blood test it is a stool test for blood.
Have your doctor run what is called a stool guiac test.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

in my case, what is likely to cause bleeding

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
The darker the stool the higher in the digestive track as a general rule.
So black stool is stomach or small intestine.
Bright red is usually hemorrhoids or diverticulosis.

Dark stool stomach ulcer would be common.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would a ulcer heal on its own

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
No
It would need treatment.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i had a upper gi endoscopy about 4 weeks ago, would that not have ruled out an ulcer

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Yes it would.
please choose a positive rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
I am getting notifications that you are giving negative ratings on my correct answers

Is there a reason?

Is there a question not answered?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your answers did not contain any detail, and were simply one word answer. You did not ask me any additional questions about my symptoms or about me.

I have learnt that the problem that i had could have many causes, and you as a doctor should have highlighted these possible causes, instead of simply suggesting that i go to a doctor and have a blood test. Of course inevitably i was going to go to the doctor anyway; however i was on this site asking you for an early informative perspective.

To improve the service you offer for the future, i suggest gaining more of an understanding about the person’s issues which can provide you with the information to provide more detailed and informative answers

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
There are multiple answers above.
And you are allowed to come back until satisfied before rating.
No answer is final until you are done.
There is little to zero detail from you about your situation.

If you provide more, or have more questions, I can respond.

You asked about dark stool, but you don't know if you have dark stool, or black...so it would be impossible to comment further under those circumstances, unless you have more....