Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

i suffer from a heavy cold and i use sudafed deconestant tables

Customer Question

i suffer from a heavy cold and i use sudafed deconestant tables and i also have olbas inhaler and vicks vaporub witch i use on my neck and chest can i also put tissues in my nose to stop me stiffing as much an my answer is can i use all three
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is Dr Hasan and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

Since how long you have this cold?

Do you use sudafed frequently or you have used this time only?

Any other diagnosed medical problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have the cold about 2 weeks i use the sudafed every 4 hours witch is 4 times a day no just a heavy cold

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
David thanks a lot for your input. I am so sorry to hear about your problem. I do understand that it's so uneasy to have such cold for 2 weeks. I will address your question first and then i will give further suggestions. Yes you can use olbaks, vicks and sudafed together. But putting tissue in nose for any purpose is not a good idea because it will only do harm to you. Here are my suggestions for you.
1. Don't take sudafed any more, you are taking 4 times a day and it's not safe for you to take this much dosage. Specially if it is not helping you then better leave it. If you still want to take, just take one tablet after every twelve hours.
2. Use of over the counter available xylometazoline nasal spray 2 puffs thrice daily will be best for you. Use it for only five days. Its a decongestant but only local one for nose and it will help you a lot.
3. Use over the counter tab claritin once daily, this is what you actually need.
4. Take steam inhalation with menthol drops or vicks in it. This will deliver vicks in your nose in a better way and will provide moisture to the small hairs in nose which require moisture for their proper functioning. Cold attacks usually effect these hairs.
5. Do take any OTC multivitamin tablet daily because cold attack comes when immunity is low and this will help you in boosting your immunity.

If symptoms persist see your doctor, who can give you steroid nasal spray but hopefully you will feel better after following my suggestions. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.