Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I GET SEVERE BACK PAIN DURING FAIRLY VIGOROUS EXCERCISE - IT

Customer Question

I GET SEVERE BACK PAIN DURING FAIRLY VIGOROUS EXCERCISE - IT CAN LAST 10MIS TO 30MINS
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and precisely where is the pain? Have you had any x-rays or an MRI?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The pain starts in the back & comes around to the sides of the stomach.I had ultra sound but it showed up nothing

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
And the only time you get it is with exercising?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes . It has happened for a number of years but infrequently until recently when it is happening about every third time I exercise. The exercise is fairly vigorous.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. The only abdominal problem that could possibly cause back pain would be a peptic ulcer but your symptoms really don't act like that. My thought is that this is probably a disk problem in your back and I would get an MRI of the spine to look for that. Compressed nerve roots in the spine can radiate back pain around the sides of the abdomen like this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went to a physio & he felt strongly that the problem was not disc related

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, it could be a problem with the spine facets, spinal stenosis, other spinal causes besides disks, but the only way to be certain would be with the MRI of your spine so I still suggest you get one. I definitely think this is from your spine and not from your abdomen
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the pain only begin in my back and about 5 minutes later I become very weak, the blood rushes from my head, very dry mouth, nearly fainting with weakness. At this point the pain is more prominent in my lower abdomen area (below the belly button). It becomes more intense (burning pain that penetrates very deep). After 5-10 minutes the pain comes in waves (it feels like contraction pains)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. Thanks for the additional information. If this were an abdominal problem with the extra information you've supplied, it could be either an partial intestinal obstruction problem or perhaps what's known as abdominal angina--a problem with the arteries that supply your intestines. You need a ct scan of the abdomen, an MRI angiogram, and I would also get upper and lower endoscopy at this point.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also after most incidents I end up going to the toilet, not realising that I had a fairly full bowel and it relieves the pain to an extent. So it may be one of the problems that you mentioned above

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
That does make this seem more likely to be an intestinal problem rather than a spinal one but the only way to get to the source would be for you to see a gastroenterologist and have the tests and studies I mentioned
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the advice

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
My pleasure--any time but please remember to rate my answers to you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is there such thing as exercise induced Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My mother and two of my brother have IBS but I have only experienced problems after exercise?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay--IBS can be aggravated by stress and potentially by exercise, but if you only get this with exercise, I don't think IBS is likely. If, after all the tests and studies I mentioned, nothing else is found, then IBS would be considered