Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My 9 year old son was kicked on the foot playing football on

Customer Question

My 9 year old son was kicked on the foot playing football on Thursday 28th February, just over two weeks ago. The following Monday 4th March the GP examined the foot and said it was either a badly bruised bone (not visible) or a crack in the 5th metatarsal. He said either way that for children the treatment was basically just to keep trying to walk as normally as possible, but play no sport. On Wednesday 6th March the foot felt much better to my son (basically normal) so he took it upon himself to play football at school (sigh!). All was fine until he woke on Thursday 7th and pain was back to where it was when walking, if not worse. Since then he has been getting around mainly by walking on his heel to avoid the pain, although he reports that the foot is now at 90%, which compares to his original assessment of 40% and 60% earlier this week. However even 90% means that he can't walk on it without some pain even for a few steps. And a squeeze of the foot still gives some pain. There is no evidence of any bones out of place or swelling. Advice please! Should we get an X-ray? Is there a risk because he is walking on his heel? Is it now likely it was cracked rather than bruised? Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.

Best to have this looked up again.

More than fracture, it is possible that he is having some ligament injury.

See a specialist for this - see an Ortho or a podiatrist.

I would ask for an MRI of the foot to detect any ligament or tendon tears, etc.

Sometimes surgical repair may be needed though not usually at his age.

But go for a specialist examination.

Hope this keeps him safe and gives him an early recovery.

Do ask if you have any more questions.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a happy face on the row of faces below to give me an 'excellent/good service' rating. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credited from the site for the time and care I have taken with your answer. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is worrying! What leads you to this conclusion please?

Since the pain has been persisting for so long.

Dont worry, ligamental injury might sound like something serious but it is in fact something that we suffer quite commonly, and is usually nothing serious.

It is less serious and immobilizing in fact that a crack or hairline fracture.

I do not think there is any hairline fracture since he was able to go for playing - instead it should be a soft tissue injury like a ligamental injury.

But he does need a checkup and it is best to go to a specialist - he may need something like a splint.

Do ask if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The GP had said that if it was a crack then the recovery would be 4-6 weeks.

Where would you put a splint given that the injury is to the outside of the foot?

Yes, thats right, a crack would take longer and he would usually have had pain which would not have allowed him to play so soon.

Splint would cover both outside and inside of the foot. THis is something like what I was talking about.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, I see, I will start the process on Monday with the GP. We will need a referral under the NHS.

We were considering taking him for an X-ray today, but it sounds like that would not be of any benefit?

Sorry for the delay in the answer as II was offline.

An MRI will be definitely more helpful than an Xray as Xray can miss soft tissue injuries.

A CT scan will be better than an Xray at detecting hairline fractures, but it is not good in delineating soft tissue injuries either.

if my answer has helped you, you need to give me a positive rating so that I get credited for my time from the JA site.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Is there any further information that you need? Please do write if you wanted to know something more.

Do write back to me if you have any follow up questions,

Dr. P. Jyoti

Did you show your son to a doctor?

What was their opinion? Have any tests like CT or MRI been done? Has any fracture or ligament injury been detected?